Welcome to our site on composter reviews! Are you wondering where to buy one? How to find the best composter? We have put together an interactive chart of various compost tumblers below and the analysis that follows will help you choose the best composter for your needs.
Our goal is to provide our fellow gardeners with trustworthy and thorough reviews on different models of composter products available online and retail stores. All of our range of described products is reviewed by product users and experts in the field. Therefore you can be assured of fair reviews and ratings since feedbacks are given based on real performance and overall quality of these products.
As you go through our website, you can also find out more about useful guides and how-to’s regarding composting and gardening in general.
So, you’ve decided you need a composter for your garden; we have just reviewed composters that are specifically designed for backyard use. While each may vary in price, design/type and function, all are intended to help you compost more effectively. They look good and can offer insulation against heat and humidity loss also!
What is compost?
Compost is decomposed organic materials. Compost is made from content like leaves, shredded twigs, kitchen scraps from plants and some food leftovers. Compost is the ideal choke for healthy garden soil.
Why is turning the composter important? Turning the bin is necessary to speed up the composting process by supplying aeration and by mixing the hot composting material with newly added materials, as this initiates microbial activity to help break down the new materials.
There are many types of compost tumblers. Some can be rolled around on the ground. Some stand still and rotate on a base. And some turn around on a center axle. All implying they give you compost quickly and effortlessly. So, is a tumbler something that you should look into?
Features of tumbler composters:
- Makes the composting procedure quick – turn waste into finished compost in only 3-5 weeks, if the conditions are right and the compost is in a sealed tumbler. In colder, wet climates, it will take relatively more than 3 weeks to finish the composting process.
- Keeps rodents, raccoons and pets away from compost.
- Nice and clean looking, perfect for urban and suburban home backyards.
- Usually cost more than upright compost bins – tumbler-style composters are mostly made out of thicker materials to hold humid, wet and heavy composting materials. This is not a concern with standing bin composters since they are open-bottomed and do not need to support weight with frame or base, which can also make them more costly to manufacture.
- Bigger bins (65+ gallons) can be hard to turn – many tumbler-style composters are built for sizes of 30-100 gallons. A larger tumbler/drum is more difficult to turn when full. Special handle for turning always helps.
Top 4 Tumbler Composters
Here are a few of the best types of composting bins that are available on the market:
Yimby Tumbler Composter Tumbler
Good Ideas Compost Wizard Tumbler
Lifetime Composter 65-Gallon
Good Ideas Compost Wizard EnviroTumbler
|Price & Image|
|Amazon Rating||(4.4 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)||(3.8 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)|
|Customer Reviews||105 Reviews||90 Reviews||82 Reviews||23 Reviews|
|Capacity||37 Gallons||52 Gallons||65 Gallons||48 Gallons|
|Design Type||Rotating Tumbler||Rotating Dual-Tumblers||Rotating Tumbler||Rotating Tumbler|
|Material Type||Recycled Plastic||Recycled Plastic||High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)||Recycled Polyethylene Plastic|
Top 4 Composter Descriptions/Reviews
Here is our quick summary on the top 4 products:
Yimby/Forest City Tumbling Composter with Two Chambers
- Capacity of 37 gallons (140 liters)
- Easy to turn spinning two-chambered tumbling composter
- Durable UV resistant plastic bin with solid steel framework
- Air vents can be adjusted
- Makes compost in as little as 2 weeks
- Rodent resistant
- Made in North America
This unusual tumbling composter boasts two chambers block one side, while the other side cures, allowing simple and efficient conversion of kitchen and garden waste into rich soil improving compost. Simply load it up, close the doorway and use the built-in handle to rotate it every couple days and see how it creates compost in a matter of weeks. This Forest City composter is made with recycled, UV guarded, black heat absorbing plastic which is built to be rodent-proof. Helps you move waste from landfill or expensive processing and turn your own organic waste into compost in your own back garden.
Good Ideas Compost Wizard Dueling Tumbler
- Fully assembled – Low maintenance
- Capacity of 52 gallons (200 liters or 7 cubic feet); 26 gallons capacity per chamber
- 100% Recycled materials – BPA Free
- Compost Tea collecting base with wheels-holds up to 5 gallons
- 8 inch twist lids to secure the chambers
- Safe for pets and children
This is what is called the next generation of composters. The Compost Wizard Dueling Tumbler brings together some of the best capabilities in the range of tumblers to design a compact tumbler that does it all. Usually with compost tumblers, owners are restricted to operating with one batch at a time. The Dueling Tumbler has no such drawback, as it comes with two batches that can be controlled simultaneously. Each 26 gallon chamber is divided and can compost on their own. Also on the Dueling Tumbler is a compost tea gathering base which collects surplus composting liquids for afterward use on plant root and soil. As with many tumblers, the Dueling Tumbler is built using recycled Polyethylene in Lake City, Pennsylvania. This plastic is BPA free and FDA authorized for contact with edibles. Also, preparing the composter is very simple; just place the composter in a spot where there is the most sunlight during the day (however, be careful in hotter climates) and that’s it. The composter ships fully assembled. This Dueling Tumbler will bring your composting to next stage!
Lifetime 65 Gallon Composter
- Heavy-duty UV-protected HDPE panels
- Capacity of 65 gallons (246 liters)
- Stable light-weight construction
- Powder coated steel frame
- Galvanized solid base made from steel
- Made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
This particular composter can recycle your vegetable leftovers into a fertilizer for your vegetable and flower backyards with the Lifetime 65 gallon Composter. It is in particular built with black, heavy-duty, double-wall panels to take in and preserve the heat inside that decomposes the organic material. The inner mixing bar lets the circulation of oxygen to break it down into an excellent fertilizer. The light in weight 65 gallon tumbler can be turned on its shaft for balanced rotation. There is no need to rotate the bin with pitchfork. Massive detachable lid allows easy access for filling up and emptying with spring-loaded pin that locks rotation during filling. With compost materials encased inside the composter, with the lid closed, the smelly, fly attracting open-air compost won’t harm or hurt your nose in the garden. This unit is perfect for your backyard or garden, resulting with beneficial and economical organic soil conditioner and fertilizer.
Good Ideas CWET-BLK Compost Wizard EnviroTumbler, Black
- Resistant to fading: made of durable 100% recycled polyethylene plastic – BPA Free
- Compost capacity of 48 gallons (182 liters)
- Air vents establish necessary aeration
- Can easily transported to any location
- Base can hold compost tea
Good Ideas CWET-BLK Compost Wizard EnviroTumbler will make composting convenient and pleasurable. Its innovative, small design can save space. There is no assembly required, so you’ll be ready to compost right after delivery. The dark plastic helps to absorb the suns heat, allowing your kitchen and backyard waste and other organic materials to quickly process into fresh compost. Compost tea can be gathered from the bottom. As you turn the drum, all the built up liquid is automatically channeled into the bottom part. You can then draw the stored tea straight onto plant roots. Since the Wizard EnviroTumbler has low built design, you can relax knowing that your composter won’t tip over in the blowing wind. You can roll your batch to any desired location around the lawn. You can then use your compost just like mulch in your gardens or spread it out on the lawn.
Frequently asked questions & final tips:
How big a composter should I buy? The 40-60 gallon models are helpful for a smaller family and garden. If you have a larger garden, spend more time in the garden, have more trees, leaves and other waste materials, then the at least 65 gallon model may be more suitable. For very large backyards, schools, restaurants or people with big vegetable gardens then even bigger are recommended, or having two 50 gallon models, for example.
How frequently should the compost tumbler rotated? About three or four times per week is good enough, let’s say when dumping kitchen compost into the composter, keep in mind to give the tumbler bin a spin!
My compost is a too wet and too moist – is it even composting? This situation can appear quite often, most definitely during winter and in colder climates. The solution to a good and strong compost pile is to keep a working balance between carbon-rich and nitrogen-rich materials. In winter, just keep adding food waste and other moist nitrogen-rich components.
Keep in mind – Composting is nature’s way of reprocessing your fruit, vegetable, and yard trimmings into rich soil enhancement.